When we woke up this morning, we were in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I was still feeling sick, so I called down to the medical center. They informed me that no appointment could be scheduled, that services are first come; first serve, and the clinic was open 8:00-10:00 a.m. and 4:00-6:00 p.m. It was already almost 10, so we decided to start exploring San Juan, and I would go to the clinic this afternoon.
We decided to have breakfast at Café Pierre in San Juan. The food was delicious, and I was most impressed with how friendly and eager their staff was. Our waiter was Josue, and he told us that he had lived in Birmingham for four years to attend college. It was delightful talking to him. Talking about Alabama somehow made me feel less homesick.
After breakfast, we explored San Juan for most of the afternoon. We visited several shops. We bought a couple souvenirs and some Puerto Rican snacks to enjoy later.
At 1:30 p.m., I headed back to the ship to get ready for the doctor's appointment. I wanted to be there early, in hopes that it wouldn't take so long. Austin enjoyed the beach, then joined me at Big Chicken for lunch, before going with me to the clinic.
There were only two people ahead of me, so the nurse called us all back at once, after we filled out papers providing our personal information, medical history, and symptoms.
The nurse offered to recommend over-the-counter medicine that I could purchase through the clinic, so I would not have to pay a doctor's bill (the clinic will not bill insurance companies, but you can attempt for reimbursement through your insurer later). But I explained to her that I had already had a televisit with a doctor before leaving Miami, and the medicine he had prescribed did not seem to be working. We decided it would be best for me to be evaluated by the doctor, to test for the flu.
The doctor ordered a CBC and influenza test. The test confirmed that I have Flu A. He prescribed Tamiflu and told me to rotate Advil and Tylenol for body aches and fever. In addition, he prescribed Austin a round of Tamiflu, in case he develops the flu too. The total cost for the visit was $175, which was a small price to pay for relief from the flu.
Thankfully, we have been social distancing. I also picked up a couple masks at the gift shop when I picked up Advil and Tylenol. I have seen a lot of people wearing a mask in the ship, so I won't be alone. I'm hoping to be well enough to visit St. John tomorrow.
After the doctor's office and gift shop/pharmacy, we made another stop at Alchemy, to enjoy a cocktail. It was just what I needed to wind down from my doctor's visit anxiety.
We walked around the ship for a while, then stopped in at Big Chicken once again. We grabbed some food from the take-out line, because our earlier meal was delicious and why waste a free day pass? We took it back to the cabin and enjoyed it on the balcony.
Now that we've finished our meal and readied ourselves for bed, we're watching Austin's favorite show, The Golden Girls, because I need to laugh. Later, we will call my parents, then my in-laws, to check-in with them before they turn in for the night. After that, we may enjoy some candy or Puerto Rican snacks while we read on the balcony for a while.
I hope you feel better soon, my sweet friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you, sweet friend. ❤️
Delete